Is it Cheaper to Leave Your AC on All Day in the Summer?
As the temperature rises, so does your energy bills. To keep your AC costs under control you could be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Abilene?
It’s a popular belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your air conditioning running constantly means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest adjusting your thermostat higher when you’re out, and lowering it when you come home. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do the work for you.
It’s significantly more taxing for your system to stay at the same temp for many hours. It can also result in a lot of wear and tear to your system, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it could also result in a shorter life cycle for your HVAC system.
In any case, the larger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your air conditioning expenses will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your energy bills lower in the warm weather? Here are our tips based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Ways to Enhance Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Change Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can conserve up to 10% a year on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees when you’re away at work. Through the summer months, it’s suggested to set your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re elsewhere. It’s equally as important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a lower setting than average when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool off your home any quicker, it just leads to more expensive energy costs. While these temperatures might feel warm, there are a number of approaches to keep cool without having to constantly run the air conditioning.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by just 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can lower energy by up to 14% during the course of the warm months. It’s important to remember that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Furthermore, keeping blinds lowered and curtains shut for the duration of the day helps keep conditioned air indoors. There are also some window solutions intended to deliver additional insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks around a home let cooler air to quickly escape and the heat to get inside. This can result in your AC equipment being required to work harder to keep your residence cool and your AC expenses to skyrocket. Make certain that any cracks, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick solutions for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Plan for Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance makes sure your unit is always functioning at its most energy efficient. This permits our experts to spot simple issues before they result in substantial troubles. A maintained AC unit is usually more efficient and can even run longer.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the greatest approaches to assure comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adapts the temperature based on your everyday schedule. It works together with your smartphone to see when you’re at your house or away to enhance your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR says that a smart thermostat could potentially save you about $180 annually on HVAC expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your AC. You can foresee a properly cared for AC to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly needing us for air conditioning repair or your utility expenses are skyrocketing with no shifts in thermostat settings, it might be time for a replacement. We carry numerous energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without trading comfort.
Enhance Your House’s Energy Efficiency with Abilene Air-Tech Inc
No one enjoys seeing their utility bill climb during the warm months. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy usage and expenses low this summer, our team can help. Get in touch with us at (325) 692-5850 or contact us online now for additional info.
Why HVAC Is a Good Career Choice: What Youll Do as a Technician and How Much Youll Make
If you want a fulfilling, successful career, look no further than heating, ventilation and air conditioning. HVAC is...Keep Reading
What New Furnace Efficiency Standards Mean for You in 2023
Did you know more than half of your home’s energy costs are related to heating and cooling? That...Keep Reading